At work, we use Analog and Report Magic to produce nightly stats reports for the sites we host. We’d grown use to the fact that the runs on our older production machine told almost half a day to finish. Their are a lot of sites to process, logfiles get pretty big and are gzipped, and we are using Analog’s built in DNS resolution. Lo and behold, I noticed that the DNS cache file wasn’t being used. Apparently the lockfile wasn’t removed one night in January – probably because analog crashed early or something. I removed the lockfile last night and was totally shocked this morning that it only took our scripts about 2 hours to run! Lesson here is to take care of your analog DNS lockfiles or better yet, use another resolver like jdresolve.