Galactic Civilizations is a better MOO than MOO3, that’s my first impression having played the game for about a week now. I haven’t played MOO3 and based on the overall bad reviews
of it I will stay away. StarDock’s game definitely has that “just
one more turn” appeal that hypothecially may keep you up until 3
AM. Here are some of the things they’ve gotten right:
- No ship design: at first I thought I’d miss this feature but I
don’t – as you research new weapons and improvements for your ships
they’re auto applied.
- Starbases: you can build star bases in sectors and customize them
with different modules that give different bonuses to ships or colonies
in a sector.
- Governors: no AI governors but you can customize each governor’s
build list in essence giving you “global queues” that each planet will
- Internal Politics: besides managing diplomacy with other races,
you have to keep your own party in control of the Senate by keeping
your populace happy.
- Race customization: even though you can only play as Humans, you
can customize pretty thoroughly the bonuses for your species. So you
can play as super-researcher humans or bad-ass warrior race humans or
- Did I mention the huge tech tree to research?
- Ship to ship combat doesn’t seem to have much of an element of luck to it.
- Sucks you in for long periods of time