On the day he’s announced as new pope, there is already an extensive Wikipedia entry for Benedict XVI. How can Encyclopedia Britannica, and its ilk, compete with that? Things I learned about our new pope:
- At 78, he’s the oldest pope elected in over 380 years.
- He participated in the SEcond VAtican Council, which oversee far-reaching reforms of Catholic practices.
- He deserted the German military shortly before the Germans surrendered and joined a seminary after the war.
- He was prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, formerly known as the Holy Office of
- He speaks 10 languages and is the eighth German pope.
Would it have been too inappropriate to title this post “I for one welcome our new Papal overlord”? At least, it would have annoyed Wyatt.